Saturday, May 23, 2015

HOLY GHOST NOVENA - EIGHTH DAY

But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you. - St. John 14:26
But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you.  John 14:26

Love Is a Bond Which Binds

O Holy Spirit, sweet guest of my soul, abide in me and grant that I may ever abide in Thee. Amen.
God the Holy Ghost, have mercy on us. Amen.


AFFECTIONS AND PRAYERS

As the Holy Spirit, who is uncreated love, is the indissoluble bond which binds the Father to the eternal Word, so he also unites the soul with God. “Charity is a virtue,” says Saint Augustine, “uniting us with God.” Hence, full of joy, Saint Laurence Justinian exclaims: ‘Love, your bond has such strength that it is able to bind even God and unite him to our souls. The bonds of the world are bonds of death; but the bonds of God are bonds of life and salvation, because the bonds of God by means of love unite us to God, who is our true and only life.
Before the coming of Jesus Christ, men fled from God and being attached to the earth refused to unite themselves to their Creator. But a loving God has drawn them to himself by the bonds of love as he promised through the prophet Osee (Hosea): “I will draw them with the cords of Adam, with the bands of love”. These bands are the benefits, the lights, the calls to his love, the promises of paradise which he makes to us, the gift which he has bestowed upon us of Jesus Christ in the sacrifice of the cross and in the sacrament of the altar, and finally, the gift of his Holy Spirit.
 Therefore, the prophet exclaims, “Loose the bonds from off your neck, O captive daughter of Sion”. Oh my soul, you who are created for heaven, loose yourself from the bonds of earth, and unite yourself to God by the bonds of holy love: “Have charity, which is the bond of perfection”. Love is a bond which unites with herself all other virtues and makes the soul perfect. “Love, and do what you will,” said Saint Augustine. Love God, and do what you wish, because he who loves God tries to avoid causing any displeasure to his beloved and seeks in all things to please him.

Affections and prayers

O my dear Jesus, You have put me under a sweet obligation to love You, and how much it has cost You to win my love! I would be an ungrateful wretch if I loved You little after that, or if I let creatures share my heart with You Who have given Your life and Your blood for me. I wish to detach myself from everything and place all my affections in You alone. But I am weak and unable to realize this desire. You Who have inspired it, help me to bring it into effect. O my beloved Jesus, pierce my heart with the arrows of Your love so that it may sigh ever after You and be melted in You! You alone I seek, You alone may I always seek. None but You may I desire and find!

My Jesus, I desire only You and nothing more. Grant that I may repeat it always during my life, and especially at the moment of my death: I desire only You and nothing more.
O my Mother Mary, from henceforward make me desire nothing but God.

Act of Filial Submission

O Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore You. Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me. Tell me what I should do, give me Your orders. I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me and to accept all that You permit to happen to me. Let me only know Your will. Amen.

Our Father

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary

Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and in the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory Be

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

               GIFTS OF THE HOLY GHOST

Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost

O Lord Jesus Christ Who, before ascending into heaven, didst promise to send the Holy Spirit to finish Thy work in the souls of Thy Apostles and Disciples, deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to me that He may perfect in my soul the work of Thy grace and Thy love. Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal; the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind with the light of Thy divine truth; the Spirit of Counsel that I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining heaven; the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross with Thee and that I may overcome with courage all the obstacles that oppose my salvation; the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect in the science of the Saints; the Spirit of Piety that I may find the service of God sweet and amiable; the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with a loving reverence towards God and may dread in any way to displease Him. Mark me, dear Lord, with the sign of Thy true disciples and animate me in all things with Thy Spirit. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment