Tuesday, May 19, 2015

HOLY GHOST NOVENA - DAY FOUR



Love Is a Dew Which Fertilizes

Thus does Holy Church teach us to pray: “May the infusion of the Holy Spirit cleanse our hearts, and fertilize them by the interior sprinkling of his dew.” Love fertilizes the good desires, the holy purposes, and the good works of our souls: these are the flowers and fruits which the grace of the Holy Spirit produces. Love is called dew, because it cools the heart of bad passions and of temptations. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is called refreshment and pleasing coolness in the heat. 
This dew descends into our hearts in time of prayer. 
A quarter of an hour’s prayer is sufficient to appease every passion of hatred or of inordinate love, however ardent it may be: “He brought me into the cellar of wine; he set in order charity in me”. Holy meditation is the cellar where love is set in order, so that we love our neighbor as ourselves, and God above everything. 
He who loves God loves prayer. He who does not love prayer will find it morally impossible to overcome his passions.

Affections and prayers

O holy and Divine Spirit, I will no longer live to myself. I will spend the remaining days of my life in loving and pleasing You. For that purpose, I beseech You to grant me the gift of prayer. Come into my heart and teach me how to pray, as I ought. Give me strength not to neglect prayer when my soul is weary and dry before You. Give me the spirit of prayer, that is, the grace to pray always and to say those prayers that are most agreeable to Your divine Heart.

My sins have endangered my salvation, but I understand from so many kindnesses in my regard that You wish me to be saved and to become a saint. I will become a saint to please You. I love You, O supreme Good, O my Love and my All. I give myself wholly to You.
 O Mary, my hope, protect me.



Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost

O Lord Jesus Christ Who, before ascending into heaven, didst promise to send the Holy Spirit to finish Thy work in the souls of Thy Apostles and Disciples, deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to me that He may perfect in my soul the work of Thy grace and Thy love. Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal; the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind with the light of Thy divine truth; the Spirit of Counsel that I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining heaven; the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross with Thee and that I may overcome with courage all the obstacles that oppose my salvation; the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect in the science of the Saints; the Spirit of Piety that I may find the service of God sweet and amiable; the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with a loving reverence towards God and may dread in any way to displease Him. Mark me, dear Lord, with the sign of Thy true disciples and animate me in all things with Thy Spirit.  Amen.

Our Father
Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary
Hail Mary, full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and in the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory Be
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment